Expertise : business law
T 514 393-4580
F 514 393-9590
630 boul. René-Lévesque Ouest, Suite 2780
Montréal, Québec H3B 1S6
T 514 393-4580 | F 514 393-9590
Stéphanie Thurber holds a bachelor's degree in law from Université de Sherbrooke and a master's degree in information technology law from Université de Montréal. She began her career in business law and quickly became interested in intellectual property and technology, fields that fuel her curiosity for innovation and correspond to her artistic interests and her thirst for discovery.
She daily develops strategies to protect copyrights, trademarks, industrial designs, trade secrets and domain names in Canada and abroad. Her practice also focuses on technology commercial law and related transactions, including licensing, technology transfers, hosting agreements, service contracts, distribution agreements and related agreements such as confidentiality and non-competition agreements. Finally, she advises and validates the protection of sensitive information and privacy for her clients.
Me Thurber's areas of expertise include traditional and electronic commerce, information technology, publishing, cultural and entertainment industries, manufacturing, product distribution and franchising.
Since 2017, Me Thurber has been conducting workshops for the EntrePrism HEC Montréal program on intellectual property and contracts in a corporate context. She has also given conferences and webinars, including: “TOP 10 Things to Know About Canada and U.S. Trademark Law" for the Montreal and Los Angeles County Bar Associations (LACBA) in June 2019, a conference for the Canadian Association of Law Libraries: “Copyright and Libraries” in 2017, a training workshop on the basics of intellectual property to the Professional Orders at the Colloque du Conseil interprofessionnel du Québec (CIQ) in 2017.
Here are some of the articles written by Me Thurber: "Le savez-vous? Le Canada deviendra un État membre du Protocole de Madrid" (2018); "À vos marques, à vos droits, enregistrez!" (2018); "Exceptions au droit d'auteur: enfin de la littérature pour tous et la fin de la pénurie de livres adaptés" (2016); "Êtes-vous prêts? (Partie 1) pour la Loi canadienne antipourriel;" (2014), "Piratage : attention au laxisme : Utilisez-vous des logiciels piratés? Cela pourrait vous coûter cher. Très cher même" (May 2014).
She is a member of the Information and Communication Technologies Committee of the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec (FCCQ) and of numerous associations, including the Association littéraire et artistique internationale (ALAI), the Regroupement des praticiens en marques de commerce (RPM) the CBA Women Lawyers Forum, the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), the Canadian Association of Technology Law (CAN TECH) and former member of the Women in the Legal Profession Committee at the Bar of Montreal (2008-2009).
Involved in her community, Me Thurber is a member of the Auberges du cœur's campaign firm in order to help them finance their operations, which include, among other things, housing thousands of young people and teenagers in difficulty each year and helping homeless young people get out of the street, promoting the social integration of these young people by actively supporting their quest for autonomy and recreating meaningful ties that can stimulate them to invest in a life project.
Me Thurber stands out for her humane and friendly approach and she always aims at accompanying entrepreneurs towards the achievement of their objectives. She fosters a close relationship with her clients by listening to them, keeping them informed of the various legal aspects that interest them and organizing personalized training sessions.
When Me Thurber is not involved in her client cases, she enjoys many sports, arts and outdoor activities. She is also committed to the recognition of society’s women's achievements.
Assistant: Nathalie Lebreton
- Business law (corporate law)
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology Law, Université de Montréal (2001)
- LL.B. Université de Sherbrooke (1993)
- De Grandpré Chait (2010-2020)
- Bélanger Sauvé (1998-2010)
- Marque d’or Inc. (1995-1998)
Lecturing, conferences, publications
- Programme Entreprism, HEC Montréal (since 2017, each year)
- Training workshops on types of business, intellectual property in a business context, and contracts
- Webinar for the Montreal Bar and Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA): « TOP 10 Things to Know About Canada and U.S. Trademark Law » (June 2019)
- Conference for the Association of Law Libraries: Copyrights and libraries (February 2017)
- Basics of copyright and reflexes to developp, training for the Ordre Professionnel de la Physiothérapie du Québec; Intellectual property, training workshop for the members of the Conseil interprofessionnel du Québec (CIQ), Ordres professionnels (September 2017)
- Did you know? Canada becomes a member of the Madrid System (2018)
- On your marks, on your rights, register! (2018)
- Copyright exceptions: finally literature for all and the end of the shortage of suitable books (2016)
- Are you ready? (Part 1) for Canada's anti-spam legislation (2014)
- Piratage : attention au laxisme - Utilisez-vous des logiciels piratés? Cela pourrait vous coûter cher. Très cher même (mai 2014)
- Piracy: Do you use pirated software? Being permissive could end up being very expensive!
Associations, committees, boards
- Member, International Literary and Artistic Association (ALAI)
- Membre, Regroupement des praticiens en marques de commerce (RPM)
- Member, BCA Women Lawyers Forum
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Information Technology Association of Canada (CAN-TECH)
- Women in the Legal Profession Committee, Bar of Montreal (2008-2009)
- Cabinet de campagne des Auberges du cœur (2019)
- Member, Information Technology Association of Canada
- Member, Association des juristes pour l’avancement de la vie artistique
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Quebec Division du Québec, Intellectual Propriété Section
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Regroupement des praticiens du droit des marques de commerce (RPM)
- Membre, Réseau des femmes d’affaires du Québec